Monday, October 1, 2007

Back to school

Today I got up and heard fred outside singing his please don’t cry song. ok, its such a frickin sad song. and he’s chirping away like he’s singing about anything but what its really about…

He gets so excited when he sees me, he literally jumps. I adore fred!! he is so full of life even though he’s lost so much.

I spent part of the day with Kendra, Thomas’s wife who is here at the school with her parents giving lessons on different careers and preparing the older kids for interviews. They all have fake jobs with credentials and experience written out in form of resumes and applications. And they put on a mock interview with a few of them. Diana, james and I were the judges. It was fun to hear their creative answers to hard interview questions. Kendra’s program was awesome.

I got to see the zoom Uganda girls!! They sang Julie a song (we video taped it) and each gave her a personal message. That afternoon I worked with 6 students on guitar lessons. Fred, Josephine, victor, john, ivan, esther and alysias. Ok these kids were awesome fast determined learners! We went over a few basic chords and I taught them how to read chords so they could be independent in the future. We also met up the next day as well. !! I grew to know each of them a little bit and I was really impressed by their determination. Most of them have never held a guitar in their arms before and we got through a lot of info considering the little time. They have one guitar at the parish and will soon have two… (a friend of mine here in Portland donated the guitar/case/capo/songbook/tuner/strings...etc. and is going to be psyched when I tell him who its going to!!) I’ll be leaving the guitar in kampala and one of the priests will pick it up on Thursday…

2 comments:

Kronda said...

Steph,

I'm so proud of you! What you're doing is awesome. Love the blog and I hope you'll bring back pictures and video to share at the concerts, which I'm sure will be awesome.

K

GenoP said...

What an adventursome worthy endeavor. I would like to donate a Mitchell accoustic with stand and Crate mini accoustic amp to the parish. All in great condition and working order. Please let me know who I should contact to make it happen. e-mail: genepiazza@charter.net